Sunday, July 8, 2007

July 9 Prompt

"What a surprise to find you could shift the contents of your head like rearranging furniture in a room"
-Lisa Alther, novelist

The idea for these bi-weekly writing prompts came out from Barbara DeMarco-Barret's (Author of Pen On Fire) speech to the Inland Empire California Writers Club.
The rules of the game are as follows:
*Assemble your writing implements, whatever they may be,
*Read the prompt,
*Set your timer for 15 minutes, and
...GO!

"He's a real no-where man/ sitting in his no-where land/making all his no-where plans for nobody..."
-Nowhere Man, The Beatles

Have you ever had a conversation with yourself? Not the kind where you ask, "Where's my *%@# keys? I can't find my *%@# keys! Where'd I have them last?" and so forth...
The conversation I'm talking about is the type where you ask yourself, "Who am I? What do I love to write? Why am I here?"
I hope you're answering: "I'm here to write."

Today, ask yourself what you would love to write about and DO IT!

For those who are stumped...

"In my desk drawer, I found..."

That was your opening phrase. Write for 15 minutes.

Enjoy your week. Hope to see you here Friday!

PS- my daughter is prepared to give a gold star to anyone who can connect today's prompt with the Beatles quote above...GOOD LUCK!

2 comments:

Carolyn Burns Bass said...

Aleta! I am so honored to be the first one to comment on your lovely new blog. I love the look and feeling of Creative Infusion. I'm going to subscribe to the feed so I'll get it delivered to in box.

Regarding that Beatles quote. I love anything Beatles, you know. "Nowhere Man" is already singing through my mind, so you know I'll be thinking about a correlation to the post and the song.

Here's to writing. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
Thank you so much for the comment.